Monday, February 12, 2007

A Whole New World


This Saturday Robb and I went to the Nashville Gun Show. Robb's brother works at a gun shop and thus was at this show, so we went. I knew that I had entered a whole new world when walking in the parking lot I had to do a double take at a man carrying a large gun in broad daylight with no deer around. Once inside there were men ( and women) carrying guns all over the place. Guns of ALL shapes, sizes and purposes. When you come in the door you have to take the ammo out of the gun you are carrying in but... I am really not sure what the point is when there is ammo being sold inside everywhere. While talking with Keith.. I quickly came up with plan for hiding if one of these people decided to unleash some pent up aggression. I would have been okay if all of the guns were clearly hunting rifles... that makes sense to own. But, many were clearly not to be used to hunting animals.... they would have blown any animal to bits. What then is the purpose of owning an expensive weapon that you should not use? The entire afternoon was a cultural learning experience ( it seems like I am having a lot of those lately). There was every type of person there... young, old, a old man with a large dog collar and chain on his neck, and many good ole' boys. When we left several hours later... I was overall less bothered by the whole experience and eventually walked away from the table that I had designated as the hiding place. We even talked with Keith about teaching me gun safety/ shooting practice just to take away the "fear" aspect of guns. I do not like to be afraid of anything- this leading to the interest in learning about it. We shall see how this goes.

3 comments:

Hope Butcher said...

I am VERY afraid of guns. I don't even like to touch them. Josh has, on occasion threatened to teach me how to use one. I said no thanks, I will hit someone with it but don't think I would be able to use it even if the moment called for it. I'm not only scared of the destruction they can do, I'm scared of the noise they make. Can't even watch a show or play with guns in it. So, what an interesting experience that must have been for you. I can't even imagine myself there!

K E Alexander said...

I have to say to live in a growing, cosmopolitan city you are having some really "other America" types of experiences: trophy rooms, gun shows, Nazi flags. Just goes to show that the old urban-rural distinctions are no more. Of course, you're urban setting is the home of Country music....

Michelle said...

I don't like guns either, but when I was 17 or 18 my dad made everyone in the house go to a gun safety class. Later we had to go to some training thing and some man told me to close my eyes and then he told me a terrible story about a man trying to rape me then said"shoot him!!" I unloaded a small hand gun in 3 seconds and all of my shots were in a 6" radius. On a dummy of course. I got the award for the best shot in the family. I then received my concealed weapon permit in the mail. I have never shot another gun since and I don't plan to. Nic likes to make fun of me for that story. I personally still kind of have the same fear of guns as before. Enjoy your experience though.

P.S. growing up in Williston is a very similar experience to Tennessee.