Sunday, May 6, 2007

A Girl and Her Grill


These are our wonderful grills. We started with the small charcoal one on the left. While I love the way it smells while cooking, it is soo hard to get the coals just right. It often falls onto two extremes- way tooo hot or cold because I did not put enough coals on. I have spent 30 minutes before just trying to get the dang coals to light... moisture is not the friend of charcoal. To the right of the picture is our gas grill that we bought during a winter clear out at a electronics store. I LOVE to grill food on this and if I might say so, am quite good at grilling. I used to grill just burgers and chicken but now have moved into the realm of steaks, veggies, pork chops etc. I will go further ( fish ,lamb chops, ribs, etc) these will one day be conquered as well. To be a good griller it is important to start with a good marinade and to keep an eye on the time. I used to just plop something on the grill and then check back in a little while,often have something come out burnt or undercooked. I now know more exact times.-due to a fabulous grilling book This helps tremendously in getting a steak (or whatever you are cooking) to be done at which ever level of doneness you like. Grilling is a great lowfat way of cooking. We grill rain or shine, hot or cold outside. It helps that it is under a covered carport, but I grew up helping to hold an umbrella over my dad as he grilled out in the rain. Nostalgia always seeps in when I grill. As I just mentioned I always helped my dad to grill. I would stand there and talk to him while he was cooking. We would talk about all sort of things and often he would tell me a grilling tip /technique in the midst of our conversation. Here is a little recipe for marinade that I just love.
Mojo Marinade
1/2 cup of Orange Juice
2 tablespoons of lime juice
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.- place all together and marinade the meat for at least 1 or 2 hours.
Do you have any recipes that you enjoy?

4 comments:

K E Alexander said...

Wow! You should be on a Bobby Flay showdown!!

Garlic&Pickles said...

That recipe sounds really yummy, I am going to have to try it sometime.

Michelle said...

I love the taste of grilled food. We don't really get the opportunity to do a lot of our own but we eat with the in-laws a lot and they almost always grill. Our favorite is making filets with montreal steak seasoning , Lawry's seasoning salt and Worchestershire sauce. Let it marinade for about an hour and grill. Yum! Yum! Yum! love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Oh, KIM! I love your grill...I don't get to grill out much, but I'll take your marinade to the next gathering around my friends' grill. :)